Friday, September 26, 2008

Set lists: The Fratellis, Electric Touch, The Airborne Toxic Event

On 24 September, I went to see The Fratellis. The other bands there were Electric Touch and The Airborne Toxic Event, neither of whom I knew before attending. I got to the show fairly early, bought a ticket, and was able to stand near the stage area, so I was quite close to the performers. Pretty cool. Electric Touch was the first to perform, and they rocked. Great music and great stage presence. Truly an awesome set, and they made a fan out of me. They also stayed around to chat and sign merchandise after their set, so that was another perk. Next was The Airborne Toxic Event. I regretted my proximity to the stage during their set, because one of the guys on guitar seemed to enjoy making really distorted sounds and other examples of painfully loud discord. Some of the songs seemed like they might have had decent lyrics, and I did like the lead singer, but it was hard to get into the set when several songs involved painful elements. Finally, The Fratellis took the stage and played a kickass set. I did, however, want to punch the idiot next to me who yelled out a request for "The Gutterati?" after every freaking song. It's not like the band didn't have the freaking set list planned and taped to the freaking stage. I was quite pleased that "The Gutterati?" wasn't on there. Neither was "Creeping Up the Back Stairs," which was being requested somewhat less frequently by a drunk chick who wasn't quite as close as the Gutterati dickhead. My favorite song off the first album, "For the Girl," was also absent, but I greatly enjoyed what they did play, and unlike the two people I've mentioned, I recognize that I'm paying to see the performers perform the set list they've decided upon, not one I've dictated. Right, rant over. Here's what got played:

Electric Touch
1. Call My Name
2. Dance
3. Love in Our Hearts
4. Saved
5. Lines
6. Come Together (Beatles tune)
7. Breakdown
8. Give Me a Sign
9. Who Put the Fire Out

The Airborne Toxic Event
1. Wishing Well
2. Papillon
3. Gasoline
4. Happiness Is Overrated
5. Does This Mean You're Moving On?
6. Something New
7. This Is Nowhere
8. Sometime Around Midnight
9. Innocence

The Fratellis
1. Shameless
2. Got Ma Nuts From a Hippie
3. Lupe Brown
4. Henrietta
5. A Heady Tale
6. Cuntry Boys and City Girls
7. Tell Me a Lie
8. Whistle for the Choir
9. Stragglers Moon
10. Chelsea Dagger
11. Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night
12. Acid Jazz Singer
13. Ole Black 'n' Blue Eyes
14. My Friend John
15. Flathead
16. Milk and Money
-Encore-
17. Mistress Mabel
18. Doginabag (I think - only thing I can't remember for sure)
19. Baby Fratelli

No comments: