Sunday, September 21, 2008

Song of the Day: "Sex on Fire"

ARTIST: Kings of Leon
TITLE: "Sex on Fire"
YEAR: 2008

The chronology went something like this: 1) I saw that Kings of Leon had a new song out called "Sex on Fire." 2) I kept seeing print ads for their upcoming concert in town, but wasn't really interested, because I haven't been that crazy about the few songs of theirs I heard. 3) "Sex on Fire" starts becoming popular. I still haven't bothered to listen. 4) "Sex on Fire" tops the UK charts and works on becoming a global smash. 5) Today, I finally bother to listen to it.

If that all seems like a big buildup to a big anticlimax, well, that's exactly what this would be for me. If the song were truly amazing, this could have been a cool story of me starting down the path to Kings of Leon fandom, but it's just not a big enough song for that. Don't get me wrong; it's good. I like it. I just can't, at this point, understand why it's becoming as huge as it is.

Maybe you can explain it? Take a listen here. You can buy it on their brand spanking new album, Only by the Night.

No comments: