Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Song of the Day: "853-5937"

ARTIST: Squeeze
TITLE: "853-5937"
YEAR: 1987

While I'm a big Squeeze fan who's still looking back fondly on my recent concert experience (great show!), I have only recently heard one of their fairly successful singles, 1987's "853-5937" from Babylon and On. I see it written several places on the Internet that Difford and Tilbrook despise this song, although I can't find any sort of official confirmation to that effect. I can't imagine why they would, though. True, it's far from the best thing in their catalogue, but when you're dealing with songwriters who consistently produce amazingly high quality work, a miss for them is still a good song. If it's true that the pair hate this one, then so be it, but as for me, it's just one more of their compositions from which I can derive pleasure.

Decide for yourself if it's despicable by listening here. The song is available on the album Babylon and On.

No comments: