Saturday, September 20, 2008

Song of the Day: "We Must Bleed"

ARTIST: The Germs
TITLE: "We Must Bleed"
YEAR: 1979

I went to see the film What We Do Is Secret earlier today. I didn't really know much about The Germs beforehand, but the film itself sounded like a good watch. I wasn't disappointed. I really enjoyed the film, and some of its best moments came during performance scenes. While I can't say the movie completely sold me on The Germs' music itself, it didn't have that as a main objective, which, to some degree, is laudable. However, "We Must Bleed" is the song that did stick with me after the film. It was used to great effect in one of the important scenes, and it's hard to deny that there's really something to this song. The energy, the rawness in it, the lyrics - I don't know how to describe it. It doesn't lend itself to a clinical analysis; in fact, it seems almost criminal for me to be trying. This song is best enjoyed viscerally; so, rather than attempt to figure it out from my description, I implore anyone who happens upon this entry moreso than most of mine: listen. Feel.

The song can be heard here. If you'd like to own it, the CD MIA: The Complete Anthology is a good collection of The Germs' work that contains everything all but the most hardcore collectors would want.

No comments: