Monday, December 15, 2008

The Best of Tony Martin: The Mercury Years

The Best of Tony Martin: The Mercury Years documents one of Tony Martin's least commercially successful periods of his career, but that does not make it any less an enjoyable one. I was excited to find this, as I very much like Martin's voice. This collection finds him tackling such recognizable tunes as "To Each His Own," "I'll See You in My Dreams," and "Stardust." My one problem is that, on my disc, the last four tracks (22-25) wouldn't play (and the 21st gave trouble, but played well when ripped). A friend was kind enough to share three of these with me from a vinyl source so I could at least get a taste for them, and they're fine renditions of classic songs. I just wish they'd worked here, but I still can't complain as even the first twenty-one tracks make for a great disc.

Tracks:
1. To Each His Own
2. I Don't Know Why
3. A Gal in Calico
4. Dreamland Rendezvous
5. I'll See You in My Dreams
6. Without You
7. And Then It's Heaven
8. Guilty
9. Rumors Are Flying
10. As You Desire Me
11. I Never Loved Anyone
12. I Miss That Feeling
13. Sonata
14. If I love Again
15. Years and Years Ago
16. I Kiss Your Hand, Madame
17. Stardust
18. Dreams Are a Dime a Dozen
19. Make Believe
20. All the Things You Are
21. Would You Believe Me
22. That Old Black Magic
23. Body & Soul
24. Tea for Two
25. As Time Goes By

No comments: