Sunday, December 14, 2008

Good Feeling, The Man Who, and The Invisible Band (Travis)

My first Travis purchase came earlier this year in the form of the U.S. single release of "Turn." Having stumbled upon their first three albums at the used store, and having enjoyed what little I knew of their work, I decided to go ahead and make a further listening commitment. Now, I'm wondering why it took me so very long. These are three awesome albums!

The debut, 1997's Good Feeling, is probably my favourite. It contains my current obsession, "U16 Girls," as well as such other great tracks as "All I Want to Do Is Rock," "Midsummer Nights Dreamin'," and "Happy." It amazes me that it took me over a decade after its initial release for me to hear any of this album's fine, fine tunes. I've rectified that by spinning the Hell out of them lately.

1999's The Man Who contains the first Travis song with which I became enamored, long before actually checking out any others: "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" That track is still one of the highlights for me, but many others here are also quite good, including the aforementioned "Turn" as well as singles "Writing to Reach You" and "Driftwood."

2001's The Invisible Band contains three very strong singles: "Sing," "Side," and "Flowers in the Window." Those are all grade-A, top-notch, etc. etc. The album tracks are also quite good, but not as exceptional as those found on Good Feeling.

All three of these albums are excellent listens and highly recommended by me.

Tracks:
Good Feeling
1. All I Want to Do Is Rock
2. U16 Girls
3. The Line Is Fine
4. Good Day to Die
5. Good Feeling
6. Midsummer Nights Dreamin'
7. Tied to the 90's
8. I Love You Anyways
9. Happy
10. More Than Us
11. Falling Down
12. Funny Thing

The Man Who
1. Writing to Reach You
2. The Fear
3. As You Are
4. Driftwood
5. The Last Laugh of the Laughter
6. Turn
7. Why Does It Always Rain on Me?
8. Luv
9. She's So Strange
10. Slide Show

The Invisible Band
1. Sing
2. Dear Diary
3. Side
4. Pipe Dreams
5. Flowers in the Window
6. The Cage
7. Safe
8. Follow the Light
9. Last Train
10. Afterglow
11. Indefinitely
12. The Humpty Dumpty Love Song

No comments: