Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Best of Steve & Eydie

The Best of Steve & Eydie is an Italian CD that collects thirty singles from Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, mainly as solo artists, from the period 1957-1964. How official is this disc? I don't know. I can't find a label and the only catalogue number is "S&E 601." The liner notes, one paragraph, are a few basic factoids. All of this leads me to believe that the origins of this disc may be a bit less than official.

Thankfully, that doesn't particularly bother me, because the music and song selection are great. At least two of Lawrence's great hits, "My Clair de Lune" and his rendition of "Somewhere Along the Way," don't seem to be on other CDs. Those two alone are worth a reasonable price for this disc. While I don't have sensitive ears, the sound quality on this disc sounds fine to me, so I have no complaints.

This is not the only disc you'll want for either artist, especially as Gorme only has a few cuts on here. However, I would recommend this both to beginners looking for a good entry into the world of Steve and Eydie as well as Lawrence fans who would like the previously mentioned pair of rare cuts. Personally, this disc leaves me wanting more, so don't be surprised if more Lawrence and/or Gorme titles appear here soon.

Tracks:
1. The Banana Boat Song (Lawrence)
2. Party Doll (Lawrence)
3. (The Bad Donkey) Pum-Pa-Lum (Lawrence)
4. Can't Wait for Summer (Lawrence)
5. Fabulous (Lawrence)
6. Fraulein (Lawrence)
7. Uh-Huh, Oh Yeah (Lawrence)
8. You Need Hands (Gorme)
9. Many a Time (Lawrence)
10. (I Don't Care) Only Love Me (Lawrence)
11. Pretty Blue Eyes (Lawrence)
12. Footsteps (Lawrence)
13. Girls, Girls, Girls (Lawrence)
14. Come Back Silly Girl (Lawrence)
15. Portrait of My Love (Lawrence)
16. My Clair de Lune (Lawrence)
17. Somewhere Along the Way (Lawrence)
18. Go Away Little Girl (Lawrence)
19. Blame It on the Bossa Nova (Gorme)
20. Don't Be Afraid Little Darlin' (Lawrence)
21. Don't Try to Fight It Baby (Gorme)
22. Poor Little Rich Girl (Lawrence)
23. I Want to Stay Here (Lawrence & Gorme)
24. Everybody Go Home (Gorme)
25. Walking Proud (Lawrence)
26. I Can't Stop Talking About You (Lawrence & Gorme)
27. Everybody Knows (Lawrence)
28. I Want You to Meet My Baby (Gorme)
29. Can't Get Over (The Bossa Nova) (Gorme)
30. Yet... I Know (Et pourtant) (Lawrence)

No comments: