Friday, October 3, 2008

Discography: The Complete Singles Collection (Pet Shop Boys)

I bought a used copy of Pet Shop Boys' Discography: The Complete Singles Collection a while ago, and have been so excited that I've been waiting for a time I could really listen to it. I've liked a lot of Pet Shop Boys music for a while, but other than the "Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You)" single, I hadn't invested in any. While Discography, released in 1991, obviously represents only a small part of their career, it's an excellent overview of their early output. My favourite discovery here was "So Hard," which is one of those perfect songs I have to wonder why I'd never heard before. Someone, somewhere, should be giving this some replay. "Jealousy," "Suburbia," and "Being Boring" were also cool ones I hadn't heard before. Familiar faves on here include "It's a Sin," "Left to My Own Devices," the Dusty Springfield duet "What Have I Done to Deserve This," "Opportunities," an awesome version of "Always on My Mind," the aforementioned "Streets," and "Rent," which I'd first heard as performed by Liza Minelli on the PSB-produced Results album, but which is even better in its original form.

Tracks:
1. West End Girls
2. Love Comes Quickly
3. Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)
4. Suburbia
5. It's a Sin
6. What Have I Done to Deserve This? (with Dusty Springfield)
7. Rent
8. Always on My Mind
9. Heart
10. Domino Dancing
11. Left to My Own Devices
12. It's Alright
13. So Hard
14. Being Boring
15. Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You)
16. Jealousy
17. DJ Culture
18. Was It Worth It?

No comments: