Monday, October 13, 2008

Song of the Day: "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"

ARTIST: Bobbie Gentry
TITLE: "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"
YEAR: 1969

"I'll Never Fall in Love Again" has been recorded by many artists since it showed up in the musical Promises, Promises. The most famous rendition may be that by Dionne Warwick, a top ten US hit in 1970 which is great in its own right. However, I've recently become quite taken with Bobbie Gentry's rendition, which hit number one in the UK in 1969. This one retains the original verses and is sung with a somewhat different tone. Whereas Warwick's version highlights the playful aspects of the song, Gentry's is more interested in the pained ones. Both elements are there, and both do a successful job of interpreting the song; they're just different.

Check out Gentry's version of the song here, and, as a bonus, the Warwick take on it is here. Gentry's can be found on many compilation CDs, including The Very Best of Bobbie Gentry, An American Quilt 1967-1974, and a two-albums-on-one-CD reissue Ode to Billie Joe/Touch 'Em With Love. Warwick's version is, I believe, incredibly common on CD, but I've not looked into those options.

No comments: