Friday, October 10, 2008

Electric Touch

After an awesome concert set, I picked up Electric Touch's eponymous album. I've finally made the time to give it a proper listen, and it's great! So far, I think it's safely in my top ten albums of 2008. It clocks in at just over half an hour in length, but in that short span of time it packs a real punch. Lead single and opening track "Love in Our Hearts" is alternative rock, but the guitar work seems to carry some mainstream rock influence from the likes of AC/DC, leading to an enjoyable fusion of the two worlds. "Call My Name" is another alt rocker with a very energetic vocal performance. It also makes good use of a synthesizer. "Saved" almost sounds like a more sophisticated version of Blue October. "Lines" and "Don't Be Afraid," one of the tracks I hadn't heard live, sound like the sort of pop-rock The Feeling might create, which for me is a very good thing. The former, however, is somewhat edgier than your usual Feeling tune, but still makes nice use of backing harmonies. "Give Me a Sign" conveys a sort of pent-up energy that I did not expect to transfer from the live performance to the recorded version, but I was mistaken. That energy finds its release in "Dance," with some instrument work that reminds me somewhat of The Last Shadow Puppets or some artist of that ilk. "Sonic Love" and "Breakdown" are a pair of rockers. I don't really have a good comparison to make for either, so I'll just settle for saying they're cool tracks. Closing track "Who Put the Fire Out?" is classic-rock-leaning, and it was a good artistic choice as the album's closer.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm strongly recommending this one.

Electric Touch is vocalist Shane Lawlor, drummer Louis Messina Jr. (and man, this guy rocks the sticks), guitarist Christopher Leigh, and bassist Ross Dubois. As defined on the sleeve, "electric" is to mean thrilling, exciting, or stirring, and "touch" to affect with feeling or emotion. I'd say that's quite accurate.

Tracks:
1. Love in Our Hearts
2. Call My Name
3. Saved
4. Lines
5. Don't Be Afraid
6. Give Me a Sign
7. Dance
8. Sonic Love
9. Breakdown
10. Who Put the Fire Out?

No comments: