Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm Back for More: The Very Best of Her Nineties Recordings (Lulu)

I'm Back for More: The Very Best of Her Nineties Recordings is a two-disc, twenty-four-track compilation that supplies a good overview of Lulu's career in the 1990s. The set is named for her big hit duet with soulster Bobby Womack. Overall, I'd have to say that this set proves that Lulu still had it going on in the '90s. The tracks are generally strong and play to the soulfulness of her vocal delivery. My favourite of the bunch is "Let Me Wake Up in Your Arms," which features writing credits and vocal contributions from Bee Gees. Stylistically, this period is not particularly varied; thankfully, the style was a good fit for Lulu, so the results are generally very pleasing. The second disc concludes with five remixes of tracks from this set, my favourite of which is Nick and Stone's Elite mix of "Goodbye Baby and Amen." While I would not recommend this set as an entry point to Lulu's career, which began in the 1960s and has continued into the 21st century, I would certainly recommend it to those either looking for an overview of her work in this decade or simply looking to supplement their collections.

Tracks:
1. Independence
2. There Has Got to Be a Way
3. Restless Moods
4. I'm Back for More (with Bobby Womack)
5. Let Me Wake Up in Your Arms
6. How 'Bout Us
7. Until I Get Over You
8. You Left Me Lonely
9. Rhythm of Romance
10. I'm Walking Away
11. A Place to Fall
12. Take a Piece of My Heart

Disc 2
13. Goodbye Baby and Amen
14. This Time Baby
15. I Don't Wanna Fight
16. Don't Break My Heart
17. Every Woman Knows
18. Some People
19. Save Your Soul
20. Independence (CJ Mackintosh remix)
21. There Has Got to Be a Way (Drizabone remix)
22. Goodbye Baby and Amen (Nick and Stone's elite mix)
23. How 'Bout Us (Lovers remix)
24. Let Me Wake Up in Your Arms (Frankie Knuckles classic song mix)

No comments: