Friday, October 10, 2008

Join With Us (The Feeling)

After anticipating it most of the year, I've finally gotten The Feeling's Join With Us! I've been putting off playing it trying to get a time when I was work-free and could really listen, but the wait was killing me, so I've finally just put it in.

Opening track "I Thought It Was Over" was quite familiar to me, as I played that single a lot earlier this year. It still sounds great! I managed to refrain from listening to the rest, however, until now.

"Without You" is a strong pop track. I can't figure out why it didn't chart well as the second single. The lyrics have an interesting interplay between the thoughts and actions of the singer which really works well to build the mood of the track. I get some "Band on the Run" vibes from it; you know, the slower part that opens the song.

"Join With Us" is another nice track. It's the album's fourth single (which maybe Amazon will ship to me someday since I freakin' pre-ordered.) It contains characteristically snappy lyrics.

"Spare Me" is a slower track that's rather pretty.

Third single "Turn It Up" is awesome! Another shoulda-been-a-hit. Very sing-along worthy. "I Did It for Everyone" has a very engaging intro. The verses are a bit different, but in a good way. The chorus, however, is very Feeling-esque.

"Won't Go Away" is a peppy track that reminds me a bit of a poppier version of David Bowie's "Modern Love." A quick Google search says that I'm not the only to notice that; in fact, it looks like it's more uncommon to draw a different analogy!

"Loneliness" is a solid track that I would say has single potential, should they choose to release a fifth.

"Connor" features some yearning vocals and direct lyrics which save it from falling into the trap of similar songs that end up sounding over-the-top, insincere, or both.

The transition into "This Time" is quite nice. A demo of this track is a b-side to "Never Be Lonely," so I guess I'd basically heard it before. The studio version is good as well.

"Don't Make Me Sad" makes me understand why some of the reviews I've read cite an Electric Light Orchestra influence. I can hear it on this track. Good thing I like ELO! I'm not saying you'd mistake this for one of their tracks, but the sound is there. It's a cool tune.

"The Greatest Show on Earth" slows it back down. The sparse piano track commands a focus on the vocals and lyrics, and it is a pretty well-written piece.

Hidden track "We Can Dance" had me smiling before the vocals even came on. Something about the intro music. I actually think it's one of my top songs on the album.

So far, this is trending toward being one of my top five albums for the year. I'd say 90% chance it ends in the top five, 65% it ends in the top 3, and about a 10% shot it's number one.

The liner notes don't have much in the line of information, but they do offer the lyrics for all tracks as well as some nice photos. I find the cover art and related single artwork to be an upgrade from the related Twelve Stops and Home releases.

I may have had to wait a while, but it was worth it. The Feeling maintain status as one of my favorite current bands, even though they seem to have abandoned the Stateside audience.

Tracks:
1. I Thought It Was Over
2. Without You
3. Join With Us
4. Spare Me
5. Turn It Up
6. I Did It for Everyone
7. Won't Go Away
8. Loneliness
9. Connor
10. This Time
11. Don't Make Me Sad
12. The Greatest Show on Earth / We Can Dance (hidden track)

No comments: