Saturday, October 25, 2008

Set lists: Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne

Saw Lupe Fiasco and Lil Wayne on Thursday night. Lil Wayne was the headlining act, but Lupe Fiasco was my reason for attending. I'm not a huge Wayne fan, and although I stayed for his whole set, I can't say my mind changed much. The opening act was Free Sol, who may actually have some good music, but whose set sucked as their bass was turned up way too effin' ear-splittingly loud, making it impossible to enjoy.

Anyhow, Lupe Fiasco brought it. I loved his set, and it made the night worthwhile despite the others. "Go Go Gadget Flow" sounds particularly amazing live. I just wish he'd had more time to perform. I did attempt to keep Lil Wayne's set as well, but not being as familiar with his shit, it's pretty spotty. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks. Free Sol I didn't even try to guess.

Lupe Fiasco's set:
1. Kick, Push
2. Hip Hop Saved My Life
3. I Gotcha
4. Go Go Gadget Flow
5. Dumb It Down
6. Paris, Tokyo
7. Superstar (with a pretty cool "I love you you you..." intro)
8. Daydreamin' with a great "wake the fuck up" speech

Speaking of the speech, that's one other place where Fiasco upstaged Lil Wayne. When he spoke, he was fun to listen to. Lil Wayne was, erm, less so. You can only be amused so many times by being asked how many people have bought Tha Carter III, you know?

Lil Wayne's set, maybe sort of kind of:
1. Mr. Carter
2. Bonafide Hustla
3. Got Money
4. Sky's the Limit
5. La La
6. Fireman
7. Might've been Tha Block Is Hot... something from his first record
8. Lollipop
9. Can't Believe It
10. Comfortable
11. Mrs. Officer
12. No clue what came here
13. ... or here
14. Girls Around the World
15. Misunderstood
16. Don't know what came here
17. ... or here
18. Duffle Bag Boy
19. Pop Bottles
20. Go DJ
21. Shoot Me Down (the opening sounding like "Iron Man!" ... dunno if it's that way on the record)
22. A Milli
23. He played a chorus from Whitney Houston's version of "I Will Always Love You." Don't ask me why.

Anyway, Lupe Fiasco was thoroughly enjoyable. Even if you like Lil Wayne, though, I don't know that I'd recommend a show. Most of it wasn't exactly live, vocal-wise.

No comments: