Friday, January 18, 2008

Anthology (Rick Springfield)

Rick Springfield's Anthology is another of my latest purchases. Anthology is a 24-track overview that includes a mix of Springfield's early hits from the 70s and more well-known 80s tunes. Particularly cool is the inclusion of "What Would the Children Think," one of Springfield's early hits that many other compilations seem to ignore.

I was very pleased with this CD musically. I like Rick Springfield, especially songs like "I've Done Everything for You" and "Human Touch." I discovered that his early stuff is also quite good as well, and enjoyed hearing songs like "Speak to the Sky," "Hooky Joe," and "What Would the Children Think." Also fun to hear was his comedic hit "Bruce," about the Springfield-Springsteen confusion.

While there are some big hits missing from this CD, Anthology is a nice disc to start with for a Springfield collection.

Tracks:
1. Jessie's Girl
2. I've Done Everything for You
3. Don't Talk to Strangers
4. Love Is Alright Tonite
5. What Kind of Fool Am I
6. Affair of the Heart
7. Human Touch
8. Love Somebody
9. Bop 'Til You Drop
10. Celebrate Youth
11. State of the Heart
12. Rock of Life
13. Speak to the Sky
14. What Would the Children Think
15. Comic Book Heroes
16. I'm Your Superman
17. Believe in Me
18. Hooky Joe
19. American Girls
20. Child Within
21. Eleanor Rigby
22. Take a Hand
23. Archangel
24. Bruce

2 comments:

80sfan said...

The biggest gem on this CD is the version of Eleanor Rigby. I believe this is the only disc that holds Rick's vocal version of the song.

Another great anthology is the 2 disc Written in Rock.

TheWordBoy said...

I agree with 80sfan that it's a cool version of "Eleanor Rigby," but I didn't want to comment because I've never heard The Zoot's version, so I'm not sure how the two compare.

Incidentally, if you're interested in Rick Springfield, look for another set of his here soon, as well as a concert set list in February.