Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Song of the Day: "I Just Let It Take Me"

For the "song of the day" feature, which may not actually occur daily, I'll be spotlighting a song which was in my head during the day on which I'm writing, which I discovered that day, or about which I just felt like writing. Today's is a song I really like that popped into my head today.

ARTIST: Bob Lind
TITLE: "I Just Let It Take Me"
YEAR: 1966

Bob Lind is still actively singing, but he's best known for his work during the mid-1960's. His music is a blend of pop and folk. He's likely best remembered for the divisive hit "Elusive Butterfly," which some people really like, while the rest seem to passionately hate it. I can't understand what evokes such a violent reaction, but if you've not heard it, then pick a side.

Anyway, "Elusive Butterfly" was a top ten hit, but while I like it okay, it doesn't hold a candle to the wonderful "I Just Let It Take Me." "I Just Let It Take Me" was released as a single on World Pacific Records in 1966 and it inexplicably didn't find much success on a national level. I think Lind's voice and exceptional lyrics mesh particularly well on this track. The chorus speaks for itself: "Some may call it wanderlust / Some may call it crazy / I don't call it anything / I just let it take me." While I can't find a place to link to a stream of the whole song, it is streamable at last.fm, so users of that site who want to hear this tune should add it to their playlists and take a listen, or at least play the clip here. If you like folk-pop at all, you won't regret it.

For those who wish to own it in CD form, amazon.com lists a 25-track collection of Lind's work entitled Elusive Butterfly - The Complete 1966 Jack Nitzsche Sessions. Given how much I love this song, that CD may someday find its way to me just so I can own and play it on demand. (Also included on that CD are Lind's other national hits, "Remember the Rain" and "Truly Julie's Blues," and the oft-remade track "Cheryl's Goin' Home.")

No comments: