Thursday, January 10, 2008

Song of the Day: "Darling Be Home Soon"

ARTIST: The Lovin' Spoonful
TITLE: "Darling Be Home Soon"
YEAR: 1967

And now
A quarter of my life is almost past
I think I've come to see myself at last
And I see that the time spent confused
Was the time that I spent without you
And I feel myself in bloom


It startled me when I realized just how relevant that verse was becoming for me, although "you" would be a tad more abstract as applies to my life at this point. Anyway, this is one of The Lovin' Spoonful's many hits (#15 on the Hot 100) and it is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded, both lyrically and musically. Simply amazing. The song comes from the film You're a Big Boy Now.

"Darling Be Home Soon" is available for purchase on several Lovin' Spoonful products. It can be heard here.

Another notable recording is that by Bobby Darin, which was also released as a single in 1967. It peaked at #93 and, in my opinion, it's easy to hear why The Lovin' Spoonful version was the more successful of the two. However, Darin's is also a good rendition and can be heard here. If you'd like Darin's version on CD, I would recommend the 2-albums-on-1-CD set If I Were a Carpenter/Inside Out. That also contains Darin's various other hits for Atlantic Records, including "If I Were a Carpenter," "The Girl That Stood Beside Me," "(Sitting Here) Lovin' You," and "The Lady Came from Baltimore." It also contains his versions of such classic songs as "Until It's Time for You to Go" and "Reason to Believe."

No comments: