Thursday, January 31, 2008

O Bluegrass Celebration (Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys)

Another recent CD for me is Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys' O Bluegrass Celebration. It's a 10-track budget compilation. I got it because I needed one of the songs on here for some work. I have no idea from where these recordings were drawn because there're basically no liner notes at all. Still, it's good to have an introduction of some sort to Stanley, a bluegrass legend whose work I never really knew. I know next to nothing about the genre, so I can't really comment, but it wasn't a bad listen. Just under a half hour of music here, so for very casual bluegrass fans like myself, this is enough to indulge a hankering and not enough to overwhelm. For serious fans, it wouldn't be any good, but then, serious fans likely wouldn't be looking at compilations this small or this cheap.

Tracks:
1. I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow
2. Orange Blossom Special
3. Sittin' on Top of the World
4. Clinch Mountain Backstep
5. Pretty Girls, City Lights
6. Cracklin' Hen
7. Daddy's Wildwood Flower
8. Oh Death
9. Daybreak in Dixie
10. Rocky Island

No comments: