Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Come On Come On (Mary Chapin Carpenter)

Mary Chapin Carpenter's "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" is one of my favorite songs of all time, full stop. However, it was also about the only thing I really knew of her for quite a while. Therefore, I was overdue for picking up some of her material. The first of hers that I've bought is Come On Come On, the 1992 album that spawned "He Thinks He'll Keep Her."

Now, oftentimes, when I've built up lofty expectations for an album based on one great song, I'm somewhat disappointed by the actual album (e.g., my recent post about Kate Nash's Made of Bricks.) Therefore, it is somewhat surprising that I can say that this album actually exceeded my expectations. There is not a single track on here that I would remove. Mary Chapin Carpenter tackles a variety of material, yet she does it all flawlessly, and the album itself hangs together beautifully. It is a work of art in whole, not just a collection of individual songs that don't work with one another.

I know it sounds like a bit of a raving thing to say, but this is one of those albums that I think belongs on the list of essentials for all music lovers.

Tracks:
1. The Hard Way
2. He Thinks He'll Keep Her
3. Rhythm of the Blues
4. I Feel Lucky
5. The Bug
6. Not Too Much to Ask
7. Passionate Kisses
8. Only a Dream
9. I Am a Town
10. Walking Through Fire
11. I Take My Chances
12. Come On Come On

No comments: