Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Song of the Day: "Standard Lie Number One"

ARTIST: Stella Parton
TITLE: "Standard Lie Number One"
YEAR: 1977

For whatever reason, I became quite taken with Stella Parton's 1977 country hit "Standard Lie Number One" tonight. I played it quite a bit, yet it's a song I've had around since April 2007. I guess it's because tonight was the first time I really listened to the lyrics and Parton's powerful delivery. The song isn't just a cheating song, as I'd first thought of it, but also a powerful display of the sort of psychological abuse endured by people in relationships when a partner is unfaithful. It's really rather clever.

If you'd like to hear this song ... well, good luck. The hit version has never appeared on a CD and I'm not seeing any copies to which I can link for Internet listening. Your best bet is to find it on vinyl, either the 45 or the album on which it was included, Country Sweet.

If you were wondering, Stella is Dolly Parton's younger sister.

---

UPDATE: I see now that there's a live performance video posted here. Enjoy!

3 comments:

chadoaksfan said...

if you have a netflix account, a video of "Standard Lie Number One" by Stella Parton is on the DVD "Country Fever Jukebox: Vol. 2". It is a DVD of various country artists performing at Church Street Station in the 80's.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, chad, I appreciated knowing that myself. I found this page after googling the song; it had been a favorite of mine too. 30 years later I still recall every single word, though I haven't heard it since then.

J.T. said...

As a long time fan of Dolly, I had to discover her sister's music knowing she had a moderately successful career of her own. I just bought two records of hers from the bargain bin of an old record store with several of her hits since the Anthology released in 1998 was unfortunately NOT original recordings. As I have been here ripping and remastering the songs, I was quite taken with this song. It was vastly underappreciated and absolute inspirational songwriting.

Like Louise Mandrell, it was difficult for her to find huge success in the shadow of a legendary sibling which was the only reason I think this song stalled at #14. I wish that someone in Nashville would pick up this song and make it a bigger hit for one of the contemporary female singers. It was Stella's second biggest hit, and it could be a giant hit for someone else.