Monday, April 7, 2008

All the Best (Tina Turner)

To slightly alter the expression: go broke while the iron's hot. My last post brought up the Tina Turner song "What You Get Is What You See." While I was in the mood, I decided to finally start my Tina Turner collection by picking up a copy of All the Best. This is a two-disc set focusing on Turner's solo career, although a couple of Ike & Tina tracks are present.

As far as the music goes: It's awesome. There's a reason Tina Turner has had a long career in the industry and has achieved the great status she has. The tracks here represent diverse styles and time periods, but they all range from pretty good to awesome. Not one bad track present.

The selection of hits is also pretty representative. With a discography as extensive as Turner's, it would take several more discs to even come close to being complete; however, most of her major hits are present. Also included is "Open Arms," a great track that is amongst the few new songs on this set. I could pick out a few more tracks I'd like to have, but overall I can't fault the song selection here.

My one complaint is that the liner notes are pretty sparse. You get writing and production credits for the songs, a few photos, and that's it.

Tracks:
1. Open Arms
2. Nutbush City Limits (Ike & Tina Turner)
3. What You Get Is What You See
4. Missing You
5. The Best
6. River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Turner)
7. When the Heartache Is Over
8. Let's Stay Together
9. I Don't Wanna Fight
10. Whatever You Need
11. I Can't Stand the Rain
12. Goldeneye
13. I Don't Wanna Lose You
14. Great Spirits
15. Proud Mary (note: This isn't the Ike & Tina hit version, but a 1990's solo version. I believe it was recorded for What's Love Got to Do With It but I'm not positive there.)
16. Addicted to Love (live)

Disc 2:
17. In Your Wildest Dreams (solo version)
18. Private Dancer
19. Why Must We Wait Until Tonight
20. Typical Male
21. Tonight (David Bowie with Tina Turner) (This is the studio version from Bowie's Tonight album, not the one from Turner's live album)
22. Complicated Disaster
23. On Silent Wings
24. Something Special
25. We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdrome)
26. It's Only Love (Bryan Adams and Tina Turner)
27. Cose della vita (Eros Ramazzotti with Tina Turner)
28. Steamy Windows
29. Paradise Is Here
30. What's Love Got to Do With It
31. Better Be Good to Me
32. Two People
33. Something Beautiful Remains

No comments: