Wednesday, April 23, 2008

One Simple Word (The Connells)

I was excited to see The Connells' One Simple Word sitting in the bargain bin during my CD hunt as I had such a positive experience with their Ring album earlier this year. (See that entry here.) One Simple Word is Ring's predecessor, released in 1990. It spawned the hit single "Stone Cold Yesterday," which is a great song. Other cool tracks include "Speak to Me," "Get a Gun," "What Do You Want?," "Set the Stage," and "Too Gone." One thing I noticed on some of these tracks that I had not picked up on while listening to Ring is a vocal similarity to Duran Duran, another band I love. Perhaps it's not really there, but either way, The Connells proved that they knew how to make more than one album's worth of solid college rock.

Tracks:
1. Stone Cold Yesterday
2. Speak to Me
3. All Sinks In
4. Get a Gun
5. What Do You Want?
6. Set the Stage
7. One Simple Word
8. Another Souvenir
9. Link
10. The Joke
11. Too Gone
12. Waiting My Turn
13. Take a Bow

No comments: