Thursday, April 24, 2008

Great Expectations (Tasmin Archer)

Tasmin Archer's Great Expectations contains a song I love, "Sleeping Satellite." That was more than enough reason for me to give this 1993 album a chance. I was a bit surprised in that her music was a tad edgier than I expected. This isn't a bad thing, though, as her songs are, for the most part, quite good. Archer wrote all of the tunes on the album along with John Beck and John Hughes, and the lyrics are one area in particular where these songs succeed.

Of the new discoveries, my favorite at this point is "Lords of the New Church." Other standouts include "Arienne," "Somebody's Daughter," and "Ripped Inside."

Tracks:
1. Sleeping Satellite
2. Arienne
3. Lords of the New Church
4. When It Comes Down to It
5. Steel Town
6. The Higher You Climb
7. In Your Care
8. Somebody's Daughter
9. Hero
10. Ripped Inside
11. Halfway to Heaven

No comments: