Friday, April 25, 2008

Q 1998: Best (Various Artists)

Q 1998: Best is the second of two Q Magazine compilations in the bargain box I picked up on Record Store Day. While I enjoyed Rule Britannia, I'm currently leaning toward this as the one I prefer. It has a diverse representation of styles, but it sticks (mainly) to tracks I like, and introduced me to a few new discoveries I love along with some songs I already greatly enjoyed. My favourite of the new discoveries is Catatonia's "Road Rage." I was going to list other standouts, but I realized it would be easier to go the opposite route. I wasn't crazy about Marilyn Manson's "The Dope Show," but all the other tracks on here range from reasonably good to excellent listens.

Tracks:
1. Air: "La femme d'Argent"
2. Fatboy Slim: "The Rockafeller Skank"
3. James: "Destiny Calling"
4. Placebo: "Without You I'm Nothing"
5. Massive Attack: "Teardrop"
6. Marilyn Manson: "The Dope Show"
7. Garbage: "I Think I'm Paranoid"
8. Gomez: "Here Comes the Breeze"
9. Manic Street Preachers: "My Little Empire"'
10. Neil Finn: "Sinner"
11. Madonna: "Drowned World/Substitute for Love"
12. Catatonia: "Road Rage"
13. R.E.M.: "Daysleeper"
14. The Beautiful South: "Look What I Found in My Beer"
15. Oasis: "The Masterplan"
16. Bernard Butler: "Stay"

No comments: