Monday, April 28, 2008

Vampire Weekend

Another bookstore buy on a whim is Vampire Weekend's self-titled album. I'd heard a couple of their songs and liked them well enough, so I decided to give it a try. I'll start with the positives: visually, I enjoy the presentation. The album cover, track listing, and disc itself all appeal to me. Perhaps my setup was a bit dramatic and you're expecting me to trash the music now. Well, I won't be doing that. It's actually a decent album. It may or may not grow on me. I don't find it amazing at this point, but it's okay. The standout track is easily "Oxford Comma," although it pains me slightly to say that. Why? The opening line is "Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma" and, well, I do. I'm a proponent of the usage of the Oxford comma. Wow, it feels good to get that off my dorky chest. Anyhow, the other tracks I currently enjoy are "A-Punk," "Campus," and "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance."

Tracks:
1. Mansard Roof
2. Oxford Comma
3. A-Punk
4. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
5. M79
6. Campus
7. Bryn
8. One (Blake's Got a New Face)
9. I Stand Corrected
10. Walcott
11. The Kids Don't Stand a Chance

No comments: