Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ring (The Connells)

The Connells are a "college rock" group from North Carolina. They managed some rock radio hit in the 1980s and 1990s, back when alternative radio knew how to play good music. I've actually seen a few of their albums around used before, but for whatever reason, I decided I would only put down the dough if I found the album containing the hit "Slackjawed." Well, Ring, their 1993 release, is that album.

Upon poking around for info online, this disc seems surprisingly hard to find now, at least at a decent price. I was lucky it was in the used shop. It's really quite a good disc. I'd love to find something insightful to say, but the Connells' legions of fans (I didn't realize they existed, either) have already said anything I could, so if you're interested in further commentary on the album, I would direct you to the reviews on its page at amazon.com.

If The Connells interest you and you don't want to shell out the cash for their catalogue, take heart. Wikipedia claims there is a compilation of their material in the works. Watch for it.

Tracks:
1. Slackjawed
2. Carry My Picture
3. '74-'75
4. Doin' You
5. Find Out
6. Eyes on the Ground
7. Spiral
8. Hey You
9. New Boy
10. Disappointed
11. Burden
12. Any Day Now
13. Running Mary

No comments: