Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Emotional Hooligan (Gary Clail & On-U Sound System)

Gary Clail & On-U Sound System's album The Emotional Hooligan was released in 1991. It spawned the hit single "Human Nature (On the Mix)." After giving the album a first listen, I was left a bit stunned. I wasn't sure why. I usually have some impression after I've listened, even when I have to concede that I'll need further listens to get a better idea. I've finally come to the conclusion that this album is really saying something, but the message is intricate and requires close attention - the sort of attention I can't give it in the wee hours of morning.

All of that said, I did like it. "Human Nature" is an excellent track, and there are many other tracks which I think also are high quality. I'm actually really excited about having further exploration of this album, because I believe it has the potential to become one I really love if I can demystify it a bit.

Failing that, it's still one I like well enough and am glad to have. Tracks that struck me at first listen include "The Emotional Hooligan," "Magic Penny," "Human Nature," and "False Leader."

Tracks:
1. Food, Clothes and Shelter
2. Pt 2 Monk Track
3. Escape
4. The Emotional Hooligan
5. Magic Penny
6. Human Nature (On the Mix) (12" version)
7. Crocodile Eyes
8. Rumours
9. Beef (The Future Mix) (12" version)
10. Temptation (Parts 1 & 2)
11. False Leader (Parts 1 & 2)

No comments: