Thursday, March 20, 2008

Song of the Day: "Grande, grande, grande"

ARTIST: Mina
TITLE: "Grande, grande, grande"
YEAR: 1972

While I only have a limited knowledge of her music because it's hard to find around here, I very much like and respect Mina. Lately I've been playing "Grande, grande, grande" a lot. I'm not sure why. It's a beautiful song performed by a beautiful lady with a beautiful voice, so that's part of it. Perhaps I feel this way on some level? Or want to? In some odd combo, perhaps it combines with "Make a Move on Me" to illustrate my current emotional muddle? Who knows?

Regardless, it's a beautiful song and I love it. The woman sings with such emotion. Mina is amazing.

The tune was adapted with English lyrics as "Never, Never, Never." This version became a hit as performed by Shirley Bassey. This one is also very good, but for me, Mina's is even better, despite the language barrier.

You can hear Mina performing the song in Italian here and Shirley Bassey's version here. Both are available on various hits compilations by their respective artists. Examples include Mina's The Platinum Collection and Bassey's The Singles.

No comments: