Thursday, March 13, 2008

This Ain't No Disco: New Wave Dance Hits

I saw the collection This Ain't No Disco: New Wave Dance Hits while I was Half Priced Books-ing it up. With collections like this, my usual method of choosing if they're worthwhile is by looking at the track list, seeing what I don't have, seeing which tracks I wouldn't be likely to buy in another form (e.g., a collection of songs by the artist), and then seeing if it's worth the price.

In this case, at $1.00, this was a fairly easy choice. The inclusion of such tracks as Pylon's "Volume," Mi-Sex's "Computer Games," and Fishbone's "Party at Ground Zero," selections which were new to me, make this is a fairly nice collection. Bigger hits on the album include Romeo Void's "A Girl in Trouble (Is a Temporary Thing)," Nena's "99 Red Balloons," and After The Fire's "Der Kommissar."

While some of these selections are definitely songs I'd be interested in buying on collections by their respective artists (like Haircut 100, represented here by "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl), or Adam Ant, present with "Goody Two Shoes"), this is overall a nice compilation of songs in a style I very much enjoy. Viva new wave!

Tracks:
1. After the Fire: "Der Kommissar"
2. Haircut 100: "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)"
3. Nena: "99 Red Balloons" (incorrectly identified as "99 Luftballons" on the track list ... gotta say, I was slightly disappointed not to get the original German)
4. The Thompson Twins: "Lies" (this may be an extended version or 12" or album version or something. It clocks in at 5:21. It's cool, just not the one I'm used to hearing. I think the video I've linked to is the same as the included version.)
5. Romeo Void: "A Girl in Trouble (Is a Temporary Thing)"
6. Pylon: "Volume"
7. Modern English: "I Melt With You"
8. Adam Ant: "Goody Two Shoes"
9. Dead or Alive: "You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record)"
10. Mi-Sex: "Computer Games"
11. Ultravox: "Sleepwalk"
12. Fishbone: "Party at Grand Zero"

No comments: