Thursday, March 13, 2008

Song of the Day: "I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried"

ARTIST: Rodney Crowell
TITLE: "I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried"
YEAR: 1988

While singer-songwriter Rodney Crowell continues to make some damn good music to this day, he doesn't get the mainstream attention he deserves. However, back in the late 1980s, Crowell was having a hot streak at country radio, and "I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried" was part of that, hitting #1 on the country charts. Normally I would probably say I prefer "She's Crazy for Leaving" to this song as far as that period of Crowell's career goes, but it's a tough choice as "I Couldn't" is also a very strong song. Perhaps it's a tie. Regardless, this is the one that's been in my head of late.

The song can be heard here and can be purchased on the album Diamonds & Dirt or on the compilation The Essential Rodney Crowell.

No comments: