Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Singles Collection '94-'99 (Boyzone)

I'm sitting in my bedroom jamming to boy band music. I feel like I'm a young lad again. Ah, the days...

The acquisition that led to this state of events is The Singles Collection '94-'99, a box collecting 16 Boyzone singles from that period. You probably already have your own opinion of boy band music in general, if not Boyzone specifically, so I won't go too deep into evaluating the music, but I'm enjoying it, anyway. Many try to bash the Boyzone boys, but I'd say Ronan Keating's solo career has proven that he's a respectable artist, and they did contribute to the writing on some of their hits, so say what you will about the music, but there's at least some evidence that the guys have some talent.

Pity I'll be missing out on the Boyzone reunion, since they're not coming over to the States. Grrrr!

Anyway, included within the box is:

Love Me for a Reason
1. Love Me for a Reason
2. Daydream Believer

"Love Me for a Reason" is a decent remake of the Osmonds hit. "Daydream Believer" is a fun remake of the Monkees hit.

Key to My Life
1. Key to My Life (radio edit)
2. Key to My Life (Unlocked mix)
3. When Will You Understand

"Key to My Life" is an original song. Good tune, and the Unlocked mix is pretty cool. "When Will You Understand" reminds me of the kind of song Ronan Keating would go on to perform during his solo career.

So Good
1. So Good (radio edit)
2. Here to Eternity
3. So Good (The 'Deadly' Mix)

"So Good" is pop fun at its best. Don't know why I like it so much. The 'Deadly' mix is also cool. "Here to Eternity" is also a pretty cool tune. Both are original compositions.

Father and Son
1. Father and Son (radio edit)
2. Should Be Missing You Now
3. Father and Son (live)

"Father and Son" is the Cat Stevens song. It's not that the song isn't good, but for whatever reason, listening to it always depresses me, regardless of the version (Cat Stevens's original and the Ronan Keating/Cat Stevens duet are the two versions I'd previously known.) I listened through to this just to hear it, and it's a perfectly good version of the song, but again... depressing. I don't know why this particularly song affects me that way. Most other songs that I find depressing aren't to the point where I have trouble listening to them (e.g., "Alone Again (Naturally)"), but there you have it. "Should Be Missing You Now" is an original composition. It's pretty. I like it.

Coming Home Now
1. Coming Home Now (radio edit)
2. Close to You
3. Coming Home Now (Steve Jervier mix)

"Coming Home Now" is an original composition. It's not as strong as some of their other songs, but it's not bad. "Close to You" is also an original. I think I prefer it slightly to the A-side.

Words
1. Words (radio edit)
2. The Price of Love
3. Words (alternative mix)

"Words" is the oft-remade Bee Gees song. I was familiar of the Boyzone arrangement of it (which differs from the traditional structure) first by hearing Ronan Keating's solo version. Anyway, Boyzone does a respectable job on the song. "The Price of Love" is an original song and it's quite good.

Isn't It a Wonder
1. Isn't It a Wonder
2. Experiencia religiosa
3. Get Up and Get Over

"Isn't It a Wonder" is an original tune. It's a not too bad ballad. "Experiencia religiosa" is a remake of the Enrique Iglesias hit. It's actually a really good version of it. "Get Up and Get Over" is an original tune and it's quite good. The verses have some cool house-ish music under them.

A Different Beat
1. A Different Beat (radio edit)
2. Angel
3. A Different Beat (remix)

Another pair of original tunes. "A Different Beat" kind of reminds me of 911's "Wonderland" slowed down. I guess this song predates that one. Both "A Different Beat" and "Angel" are nice enough, but nothing too special. "A Different Beat" has a nice message and all, but musically it's not the boys at their best.

Picture of You
1. Picture of You
2. Let the Message Run Free
3. Words (Spanglish version)

"Picture of You" is a great tune. I believe it's an original. The inlay notes it's from Bean - The Ultimate Disaster Movie. That explains the cover artwork. "Let the Message Run Free" is also an original song, and it's a strong one. This is probably the sort of song that translates very well into live performance. The Spanglish version of "Words" is interesting. I can't figure out the reasoning behind the lines that are in Spanish and the ones that stay in English. Seems like they were chosen a bit randomly. Still, it works well enough and it sounds good. I'm guessing it was made to follow up on the Spanish-speaking popularity they'd gained with their remake of "Experiencia religiosa."

Baby Can I Hold You
1. Baby Can I Hold You (7" edit)
2. Shooting Star
3. Mystical Experience
4. Mystical Experience (remix)

"Baby Can I Hold You" is a remake of Tracy Chapman's hit. I first heard this song in its Ronan Keating solo version. Great lyrics on this one. The Boyzone rendition is also nice, though I think Keating's solo performance is my favourite. "Shooting Star" comes from the Disney film Hercules. It sounds somewhat Disney and somewhat musical theatre, but it's actually not a bad song for what it is. "Mystical Experience" is an English version of Enrique Iglesias's hit "Experiencia religiosa," and the phrasing on it very much sounds Spanish-accented. It's an enjoyable cut. The remix has a good beat. It's the version I prefer.

All That I Need
1. All That I Need (7" edit)
2. Never Easy
3. Paradise
4. Workin' My Way Back to You (featuring Alliage)

"All That I Need" is a good song, but I actually prefer "Never Easy." That one is a very good song. "Paradise" is also nice enough. From what I can find, Alliage is a French band, and this version of "Workin' My Way Back to You" (originally by The Four Seasons, although here performed in the style of The Spinners with the "Forgive Me Girl" bit also present) was a collaboration for the French market. I suppose that's why it's in both French and English. It's actually quite a fun listen. Apparently, a solo version of this by Boyzone was released in Ireland only as their debut single, but I can't find any evidence of the single being available anywhere, nor has the song appeared on any of their albums or compilations. Guess the Boyzone boys aren't fans! Not really sure why, actually - it's nothing great, but not bad either. Makes for a fun listen, nothing about which to be embarrassed, except perhaps the video which accompanied it.

No Matter What
1. No Matter What
2. Where Have You Been?
3. All That I Need (Phil Da Costa's Oxygen Edit)

"No Matter What" comes from Andrew Lloyd Webber's production Whistle Down the Wind and has lyrics by the great Jim Steinman. It's a nice adult contemporary type song. "Where Have You Been?" is an original song, and it's pretty awesome. The "All That I Need" remix is quite good. I think it's an upgrade from the original single edit.

I Love the Way You Love Me
1. I Love the Way You Love Me
2. Waiting for You
3. Let the Message Run Free

"I Love the Way You Love Me" is a remake of John Michael Montgomery's big country hit from 1993. It's a very good version. "Waiting for You" is a nice enough tune. "Let the Message Run Free" had also been a B-side on the "Picture of You" single, so I'm not exactly sure why they chose to stick it on here too, but it's still a good song.

When the Going Gets Tough
1. When the Going Gets Tough (Boyzone)
2. What a Wonderful World (Alison Moyet with the London Symphony Orchestra)
3. Love Can Build a Bridge (documentary track) (Chrissie Hynde, Cher, and Neneh Cherry)

This single was released for the Comic Relief charity in 1999. Boyzone's take on "When the Going Gets Tough," a hit for Billy Ocean, is quite good. Alison Moyet's version of "What a Wonderful World" is beautiful. The documentary track is just that, a track offering documentary information about some of what the charity is fighting, spoken over a past Comic Relief single, an all-star remake of The Judds' "Love Can Build a Bridge."

You Needed Me
1. You Needed Me
2. Words Can't Describe
3. Megamix (Love to Infinity)

"You Needed Me" is a pretty remake of the old Anne Murray hit. "Words Can't Describe" is a cool song with Gately doing the vocals. "Megamix" is just that.

Every Day I Love You
1. Every Day I Love You
2. No Matter
3. Will I Ever See You

"Every Day I Love You" is another pretty-ish tune. "No Matter" is decent enough tune, a bit generic. "Will I Ever See You" is my favourite of the three tracks. Very good.

No comments: