Monday, July 7, 2008

Guilty Pleasures (Barbra Streisand)

Sometimes, timing is everything. I saw a relatively cheap copy of Barbra Streisand's Guilty Pleasures album soon after deciding that I really liked one of its tracks, "Night of My Life." That combination was enough for me to take a chance on the album, even though there are many earlier Streisand works I would have guessed would be her first entries into my collection, particularly those which represent her material from the 1960s.

This album, co-produced by Barry Gibb, is a collection of songs co-written by Barry Gibb. Two of the tracks, "Come Tomorrow" and "Above the Law," are even duets with Mr. BG. It should come as no surprise, therefore, that Gibb's influence is heard throughout. The album is decent. Some of the tracks are less memorable than others. Other than "Night of My Life," the standout for me on first listen was "Hideaway." It was also interesting to hear Streisand tackle "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away."

Tracks:
1. Come Tomorrow (with Barry Gibb)
2. Stranger in a Strange Land
3. Hideaway
4. It's Up to You
5. Night of My Life
6. Above the Law (with Barry Gibb)
7. Without Your Love
8. All the Children
9. Golden Dawn
10. (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away
11. Letting Go

No comments: