Saturday, July 12, 2008

Songs of the Day(s)

There are a few songs I've been meaning to spotlight here but have not, so I'm gonna do some cleanup with this post, before I go the entire year without even mentioning them!

ARTIST: Charlotte Sometimes
TITLE: "How I Could Just Kill a Man"
YEAR: 2008

When I first saw this title, I expected it to be a remake of the Cypress Hill song. However, it's a far cry from that. Charlotte Sometimes offers a track of the melodic sort that, while no longer played on current pop or alternative radio stations, is sure to win the group a cult following.

The song can be heard here and is available for purchase on the album Waves and the Both of Us, as well as an eponymous EP.

ARTIST: Flight of the Conchords
TITLE: "Business Time"
YEAR: 2007

I've only seen one (the debut) episode of the television show "Flight of the Conchords," but I would be remiss not to spotlight the song "Business Time." This bit of quirky comedy basically served as the theme song to my June, not because of its lyrical content, but because it was the song which recurred most throughout the month. I heard it performed thrice at various times, and all three occasions were memorable for various reasons.

Hear it here. It can be purchased on the recent self-titled album, as well as the EP The Distant Future.

ARTIST: Level 42
TITLE: "Running in the Family"
YEAR: 1987

Level 42 is likely best remembered for the hit "Something About You," which is a great song. However, lately I've been playing "Running in the Family," the title track from their 1987 album. It's a solid slice of '80s tunage that should definitely be checked out.

You can hear the song here. It is available for purchase on such Level 42 sets as The Definitive Collection and Best 1200.

ARTIST: Little Jackie
TITLE: "The World Should Revolve Around Me"
YEAR: 2008

From what I read, part of Little Jackie is '90s rapper Imani Coppola, who had a hit with the awesome "Legend of a Cowgirl." The track "The World Should Revolve Around Me" combines classic old school vibes with some new school sensibilities, which is something I love when done properly. This is definitely the proper way to do it. It's a great track.

Click here for a listen. The song can be purchased on Little Jackie's album The Stoop.

ARTIST: Placebo
TITLE: "Pure Morning"
YEAR: 1998

I'm not sure exactly why this tune has been in my head lately, or even why I really like it. I've never been a huge Placebo fan, but this one has grown on me with age. I think it's something about the lyrics that appeals to me. Whatever the case, it's a pretty cool song and worth some replay.

Hear it here. The song can be purchased on the Placebo album Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004 as well as some compilations as The Best Anthems Ever.

ARTIST: Saving Jane
TITLE: "Supergirl"
YEAR: 2008

"Supergirl" is Saving Jane's current single. It's not looking like it's gonna be a huge hit, but I'm quite taken with it. It's a nice slice of catchy girl power pop, and seriously, who doesn't know someone like this? The song is apparently somehow tied in with Danica Patrick.

Take a listen here. I can't find a clear answer as far as a CD on which it's available.

ARTIST: Jane Turzy
TITLE: "Sweet Violets"
YEAR: 1951

Jane Turzy isn't exactly the most well-known singer to have had some hits in the 1950s. Her Wikipedia page gives a little bit of information, and there doesn't appear to be much else on the Internet to supplement it. "Sweet Violets" is nonsensical fun, and even though I'm sure many would cringe at it, I rather like it and have given it quite a few spins. The best-known recording is apparently that by Dinah Shore, but Turzy's is the one that has won my support.

You can hear the song here. It is available for purchase on the album Fabulous Fifties Divas Sing Their Hard-to-Find Hits.

No comments: