Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sincerely Yours (Eydie Gorme)

Sincerely Yours is a two-disc set examining the early years of Eydie Gorme's singing career, 1952-1956. Disc one examines her Coral Records output, while disc two examines her early ABC-Paramount work. Overall, this is an excellent collection. Highlights of the first disc include a rousing rendition of "Uska Dara," the great fun of "A Girl Can't Say," and a duet with Steve Lawrence on the oft-recorded "Make Yourself Comfortable." Also of interest is "That Night of Heven," an English adaptation of "Cielito lindo." Disc two's highlights include Gorme's takes on "I'll Take Romance," "The Gentleman Is a Dope," and "Too Close for Comfort." This set is an excellent look at the earliest part of Gorme's work, and I would strongly recommend it to fans of her work.

Tracks:
The Coral Years (Disc 1)
1. Tell Me More
2. That Night of Heaven
3. Don't Tell Lies
4. I'd Forgotten
5. Frenesi
6. All Night Long
7. I Danced With My Darling
8. Uska Dara
9. Sure
10. Fini
11. Chain Reaction
12. Fallen Apples
13. Tea for Two
14. Crocodile Tears
15. Climb Up the Wall
16. I've Gotta Crow
17. Make Yourself Comfortable (with Steve Lawrence)
18. (Close Your Eyes) Take a Deep Breath (with Steve Lawrence)
19. Besame Mucho (with Steve Lawrence)
20. A Girl Can't Say
21. Give a Fool a Chance
22. Knickerbocker Mambo (with Steve Lawrence)
23. Soldier Boy
24. What Is the Secret of Your Success

The ABC-Paramount Years (Disc 2)
25. Sincerely Yours
26. Come Home
27. That's How
28. Mama Teach Me to Dance
29. You Bring Out the Lover in Me
30. Soda Pop Hop
31. I've Got a Right to Cry
32. I'll Come Back
33. It's a Pity to Say Goodnight
34. I'll Take Romance
35. This Is No Laughing Matter
36. Fine and Dandy
37. Day By Day
38. The Gentleman Is a Dope
39. Too Close for Comfort
40. Guess Who I Saw Today
41. Be Careful, It's My Heart
42. Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night in the Week)
43. First Impression
44. How Long Has This Been Going On
45. Gypsy in My Soul

No comments: