Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Anthology (Carly Simon)

Anthology is the first Carly Simon set of my collection. Despite really liking the songs of hers I'd known, I never got around to buying her stuff. Therefore, her debut was long overdue.

Anthology succeeds in many ways. The two-disc set contains forty tracks that span a significant portion of Simon's career. The included liner notes booklet includes a good mix of text, pictures, and discographic information that should satisfy most.

The track selection is good, but could be better. I consider this set a starter set. It doesn't contain everything, but it contains many quality tracks. As to just what is missing that should be included, many people will disagree on that. For me, the answers include a selection of hit singles, like "Tired of Being Blonde" and "It Keeps You Runnin'." Still, I guess it's hard to complain too much about track selection for two reasons: 1) Carly Simon herself had a hand in picking them. 2) Simon's catalogue of albums is well-represented on CD and not too hard to find. Therefore, those of us wishing to supplement this collection have the ability to do so. Granted, that's not ideal - it involves more time and money. Still, it's better than just not getting the songs one wants. For those wanting a more detailed analysis of the songs I consider essential but absent, I have included it after the track listing.

The music that is included kicks ass. Carly Simon is a truly gifted singer-songwriter. Many of her hits have stood the test of time, and it's not hard to understand why. Others that don't get replayed as much (like the stellar "Attitude Dancing") are just as quality. Because so many of these tracks are so awesome, I will forego picking standout tracks and just say that there is no musical reason for avoiding this set.

I would be remiss not to mention that Carly Simon recently released a new album, This Kind of Love. I have not heard anything on it yet, but I imagine it's worth checking out.

Tracks:
1. That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be
2. One More Time
3. Anticipation
4. Legend in Your Own Time
5. Julie Through the Glass
6. You're So Vain
7. We Have No Secrets
8. The Right Thing to Do
9. Mockingbird (with James Taylor)
10. Haven't Got Time for the Pain
11. Older Sister
12. Waterfall
13. Attitude Dancing
14. In Times When My Head
15. Nobody Does It Better
16. You Belong to Me
17. Devoted to You (with James Taylor)
18. Boys in the Trees
19. Vengeance
20. Come Upstairs
21. Jesse

Disc 2
22. Not a Day Goes By
23. Why
24. It Happens Everyday
25. Orpheus
26. Come Back Home
27. Coming Around Again
28. Give Me All Night (single version)
29. The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of
30. All I Want Is You
31. Let the River Run
32. My Romance
33. Better Not Tell Her
34. Love of My Life
35. Like a River (single version)
36. Two Little Sisters (Theme from "Marvin's Room")
37. Film Noir
38. Scar
39. Actress
40. Touched by the Sun (live at Grand Central, 1995)

And for those of you wondering, here are the songs I would still like to own in some form or another:
*"More and More" was a single off the Playing Possum album. Incidentally, that album cover is a classic.
*"It Keeps You Runnin'" was a hit remake of the Doobie Brothers song included on her album Another Passenger. I can understand why she'd prefer including her own composition ("In Times When My Head") on this collection instead. Also included on the Another Passenger album is fan favourite "Libby."
*Minor easy listening hit "Spy" and stellar album cut "We're So Close" are both tracks from the Spy album.
*"Take Me As I Am" was a minor hit from the Come Upstairs album.
*"Hurt" was a minor hit from the standards album Torch.
*"You Know What to Do" was the hit from the Hello Big Man album. The album also includes a version of Bob Marley's "Is This Love."
*Spoiled Girl contains the underappreciated hit "Tired of Being Blonde."
*The minor easy listening hit "Holding Me Tonight" is on the Have You Seen Me Lately album.

Someday...

No comments: