Sunday, May 18, 2008

Song of the Day: "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye"

ARTIST: The Vogues
TITLE: "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye"
YEAR: 1970

Leonard Cohen's "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" has been performed by many an artist. The version of the song I've been listening to a particular lot of late is that released as a single in 1970 by The Vogues. I love harmony performances like this, and their take on this sad song is absolutely beautiful. The way the song builds is also awesome. Why this wasn't a bigger hit for them (or someone, at least) is absolutely beyond me.

A special mention goes to the Claudine Longet version, which I listened to thanks to its streamability at last.fm. Also pretty, although I prefer the Vogues rendition simply for the harmonies. Another rendition I've never heard but would love to is that by Ian McCulloch. I'm sure many other versions are out there as well.

To hear the Vogues version (my personal pick), click here. It is available on CD on a 2-albums-on-1-CD set entitled Memories/Sing the Good Old Songs as well as a decent hits package titled Greatest Hits.

To hear the Leonard Cohen version, which is also great, click here. It's available on almost any given Cohen collection on CD.

The Longet version can be found on the 2-on-1 disc We've Only Just Begun/Let's Spend the Night Together. The McCulloch version is on the various artists tribute album I'm Your Fan.

No comments: