Saturday, May 10, 2008

Too Shy: The Singles and More (Kajagoogoo / Limahl)

On a whim, I bought a copy of Too Shy: The Singles and More. This disc collects Kajagoogoo's UK hit singles, as well as the majority of Limahl's. The titular "and more" refers to a few extended mixes and 12" versions also included, which make nice additions. As I am far from knowledgeable about Kajagoogoo or Limahl, I'm none too qualified to comment on song selection, but from what I can tell, this collection does a good job of collecting all the essential tracks. The music included is some enjoyable 80s pop. As of right now I'd say I probably prefer the Limahl solo singles to the Goo tracks, but both sets are pretty cool. I think my favourite of the tracks I'd not previously heard (which is most of them) is Limahl's "Inside to Outside. Of the Kajagoogoo tracks that aren't "Too Shy," I think "Turn Your Back on Me" gets my vote. The fact that I can't choose easily does indicate that there are some quality tunes included on this disc, and overall I'm pleased with it, especially since I wasn't too sure what to expect.

The included liner notes consist of a Kajagoogoo discography and many pictures of the band, as well as some of Limahl in all his mulleted glory. The discography is cool but nothing special, but it's fun to look at the pictures at least.

Tracks by Kajagoogoo unless otherwise noted:
1. Too Shy
2. Ooh to Be Ah
3. Hang On Now
4. Big Apple
5. The Lion's Mouth
6. Turn Your Back on Me
7. Shouldn't Do That
8. Only for Love (Limahl)
9. Too Much Trouble (Limahl)
10. Never Ending Story (Limahl)
11. Love in Your Eyes (Limahl)
12. Inside to Outside (Limahl)
13. Too Shy (Midnight mix)
14. Hang On Now (extended mix)
15. Turn Your Back on Me (extended mix)
16. Only for Love (12" mix) (Limahl)
17. Never Ending Story (12" mix) (Limahl)

No comments: