Saturday, May 10, 2008

From Crayons to Perfume: The Best of Lulu

From Crayons to Perfume is a Lulu compilation assembled for the U.S. market. It selects twenty tracks which represent the span of time from about 1964-1981. Obviously, with an artist as prolific as Lulu, this isn't enough to give one the complete Lulu, even in this time period, but it certainly is a good overview and a nice starting place. This CD is long overdue for my collection. For a long time, many Lulu songs have been amongst those that I love, and some (including "Me, The Peaceful Heart" and "Best of Both Worlds," plus radio favorite "To Sir With Love") I've been loving long enough that they can truly be called personal classics. It's unfortunate that compilation albums tend to be so much more expensive than normal ones, especially good ones for older artists, because I can't think why else I would have delayed starting a Lulu collection for so long.

Anyway, this album does a very good job of selecting Lulu's American hits during this time. This is in fact the only collection to date to include minor hit single "After the Feeling Is Gone," a soulful track recorded with The Dixie Flyers. Her other U.S. chart hits are also basically represented, although one notable and regrettable exception is "If I Were You," her awesome rendition of the song originally performed by Toby Beau. This, however, is a minor complaint, as the music that did make the cut is great.

Hopefully it won't take me quite as many years to continue growing my Lulu collection.

Tracks:
1. Shout (with The Luvvers) (1964 version)
2. Leave a Little Love
3. To Sir With Love
4. The Boat That I Row
5. Dreary Days and Nights
6. Best of Both Worlds
7. Me, The Peaceful Heart
8. Boy
9. Sad Memories
10. Morning Dew
11. Without Him
12. Oh Me, Oh My (I'm a Fool for You Baby)
13. Hum a Song (From Your Heart) (with The Dixie Flyers)
14. After the Feeling Is Gone (with The Dixie Flyers)
15. Everybody's Got to Clap
16. Watch That Man
17. The Man Who Sold the World
18. The Man With the Golden Gun
19. Don't Take Love for Granted
20. I Could Never Miss You (More Than I Do)

No comments: