Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Death of Cool (Kitchens of Distinction)

The only Kitchens of Distinction song I'd known is "Drive That Fast." However, that song very much impressed me, so I was happy to have the opportunity to check out one of their albums. The Death of Cool was released in 1992. It contains the alternative radio hits "Smiling" and "4 Men," as well as what I believe was the international lead single, "Breathing Fear." Not having known much about the band before, I was surprised by their explicit treatment of gay themes in the lyrics, yet I was also rather impressed with the way they were treated. They don't distract and they're not given undue weight; they're treated refreshingly naturally, and as such are able to be as powerful as the other themes covered. The album is some truly enjoyable college rock, and it leaves me wanting to hear more from KOD.

Tracks:
1. What Happens Now?
2. 4 Men
3. On Tooting Broadway Station
4. Breathing Fear
5. Gone World Gone
6. When in Heaven
7. Mad as Snow
8. Smiling
9. Blue Pedal
10. Can't Trust the Waves

No comments: