Sunday, November 2, 2008

Set lists: Sara Bareilles and Marc Broussard

I'd seen Sara Bareilles in concert when she was an opening act for Paolo Nutini. Tonight, I went to see her on her own tour, with supporting acts Marc Broussard and Raining Jane. To be honest, I was also quite excited to be able to see Broussard. I'd only heard a few of his songs, but I quite enjoyed them, so I figured he'd make for a nice concert experience as well as Bareilles, who I knew would.

The first opener was Raining Jane. I didn't keep their set list, but they were okay. Nice-ish music, a bit of a world/eclectic influence. Not necessarily anything that would excite me, although a couple of the songs were quite good. Pretty cool, though, and the members had good personalities. A little rough as far as stage presence at time, but I'm sure that's something that will be worked out with more performance experience.

As anticipated, Broussard and Bareilles both had awesome sets. Broussard was high energy, and his supporting band is awesome and deserves props for their part in his set as well. I wish I'd jotted down their names. Anyway, I even was inspired to get a cool Broussard shirt at the merchandise table. Bareilles's set was also fun, with most of the tracks being drawn from Little Voice, but a few unexpected things thrown in. When I first saw her, "Love on the Rocks" included a snippet of "Bennie and the Jets" thrown in. While that didn't happen this time around, Bareilles had plenty of other cool little insertions. I hope she keeps that up as her career progresses, as I think it's a fun concert tactic that really helps to express her own musical tastes and definitely also her personality.

I'd urge anyone with a chance to see Bareilles or Broussard to take it.

Marc Broussard's set:
1. Rocksteady
2. Man for Life
3. The Wanderer
4. Real Good Thing
5. Another Night Alone
6. Home
7. Gavin's Song
8. Going Home

Sara Bareilles:
-band entered to Four Seasons' "December, 1963 (Oh What a Night)"
1. Vegas
2. Bottle It Up
3. Morningside
4. Love on the Rocks
5. Between the Lines
6. Fairy Tale
7. I Feel It All
8. August Moon
9. Little Voice with the opening verse of "Viva La Vida" thrown in
10. City
11. Chorus of "Black and Gold" (sweet!), Come Round Soon, chorus of "I Kissed a Girl" (not sweet!)
12. Love Song
13. Many the Miles, joined by Marc Broussard and the audience
14. Living for the City, joined by Marc Broussard and Raining Jane... excellent choice for a group jam. I wish more people would do awesome jam covers. It was also one of the highlights when I saw Ben Lee a while ago, and he and his openers did Cheap Trick's "Surrender."
Encore
15. Sullivan Street (Counting Crows song)
16. Gravity

No comments: