Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Swing When You're Winning (Robbie Williams)

Swing When You're Winning is a bit of an anomaly in the Robbie Williams catalogue. Rather than featuring originals, this is a standards album, with the lone exception of the opening track. I wasn't too sure what to expect from this album. Obviously, I'm a big fan of Robbie Williams, and I also very much like well-executed albums of classic songs. Still, I wasn't too sure how well the two would combine.

The result, however, is gratifying. I wouldn't call this the best standards album I'd heard, nor would I call it the best Robbie Williams album. Still, the songs on here are well-chosen, and Williams delivers a performance that evidences an actual appreciation for the material. There's very little here that sounds hollow, and for the most part, I'd be willing to say he enjoyed recording this. Also, opening track "I Will Talk and Hollywood Will Listen" is a great song that, in my opinion, would have made a nice single. It is one of the highlights, along with a great rendition of "Ain't That a Kick in the Head," a fun take on "Well, Did You Evah" with Jon Lovitz, Darin-inspired versions of "Mack the Knife" and "Beyond the Sea," and a cool Jane Horrocks duet on "Things." The big single off the album, a version of "Somethin' Stupid" performed with Nicole Kidman, is also a rewarding listen. Overall, it's an effort that I think many can appreciate.

Tracks:
1. I Will Talk and Hollywood Will Listen
2. Mack the Knife
3. Somethin' Stupid (with Nicole Kidman)
4. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me
5. It Was a Very Good Year (with Frank Sinatra)
6. Straighten Up and Fly Right
7. Well, Did You Evah (with Jon Lovitz)
8. Mr. Bojangles
9. One for My Baby
10. Things (with Jane Horrocks)
11. Ain't That a Kick in the Head
12. They Can't Take That Away From Me
13. Have You Met Miss Jones?
14. Me and My Shadow (with Jonathan Wilkes)
15. Beyond the Sea

No comments: