Monday, November 10, 2008

Fearless (Jazmine Sullivan)

I wasn't sure whether or not to believe the hype surrounding Jazmine Sullivan's Fearless. I checked out lead single "Need U Bad" when it was an iTunes single of the week, and while I liked it and thought the Pepa-supplied patois was a nice touch, I didn't think it was anything amazing. However, amazing is exactly the word I'd use to describe second single "Bust Your Windows." While both songs left me with positive impressions, the second extremely so, I'm not sure I would have bought the album had I not then seen it in my school's bookstore. That, however, put me over the edge, and I'm glad it did. This one's stunning! Every track on here is at least good, with most great. Other favourites besides the first couple singles include "My Foolish Heart," "One Night Stand," and the bonus track "Switch!" For those who, like me, wondered how a song could be a bonus track when it was on the album's first pressing, allow me to explain one of the rare times when this labeling has seemed sensible to me. The first eleven tracks form a very nice, incredibly cohesive artistic unit. You might call it "an album." "Switch!" doesn't really fit in with the contents; however, I'm assuming Sullivan and/or her camp wanted it released to show her more playful side and thereby round out her personality as even more complex. In my opinion, that's a good move. The song is fun and feel-good, and while it doesn't fit with the rest of the album, it makes an awesome bonus track, making that an intelligent label for it.

Highly recommended.

Tracks:
1. Bust Your Windows
2. Need U Bad
3. My Foolish Heart
4. Lions, Tigers & Bears
5. Call Me Guilty
6. One Night Stand
7. After the Hurricane
8. Dream Big
9. Live a Lie
10. Fear
11. In Love With Another Man
Bonus Track: Switch!

No comments: