Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Greatest Hits (Village People)

Another hits collection that I likely wouldn't have sought myself had it not been at a must-buy bargain price is Village People's Greatest Hits. I like the songs of theirs I'd known well enough, but it hadn't been enough to spur buying action. However, I'm quite glad I acquired this set, which includes most of their best-known songs. It's amazing to hear the songs on a collection, because it drives home just what a great send-up Village People were. They were supposed to be fun, and perhaps, in the way of a clown, a bit of a commentary. Surprisingly, I have to say the tunes basically succeed on both level. It's light disco that makes for a fun listen and good dancing, and it's a much better take off on the entire scene than I would have given it credit for before. I'm not going to say Village People should be a priority on most people's lists of music to get, but I think they had a target audience in mind and knew how to market themselves to that audience well. Not sure I ever thought I'd be writing up a Village People endorsement, but there you have it. Most of the highlights for me, given my take on it, are the songs that have tongues being most firmly planted in cheeks: "Sodom and Gomorrah," "Key West," and "My Roommate." However, perhaps my favorite song on this collection is the hit single "Go West." Musically, this song would probably stand up just as well out of context... or at least, better than most of the others. It's a great tune.

Tracks:
1. Y.M.C.A.
2. Village People
3. Macho Man
4. San Francisco (You've Got Me)
5. Key West
6. Sodom and Gomorrah
7. In the Navy
8. Go West
9. My Roommate
10. Ready for the 80s
11. Liberation
12. Can't Stop the Music
13. Hot Cop
14. Y.M.C.A. (disco mix)
15. In the Navy (disco mix)

No comments: