Tuesday, August 26, 2008

1 Giant Leap

I bought 1 Giant Leap not really knowing much about the project other than that Robbie Williams and Neneh Cherry each contributed to singles released from it. I was therefore quite surprised when I found the CD to contain a very eclectic mix of world music, bringing in various elements of multiple genres. I have to say that this was outside my usual realm of listening, so, while I didn't dislike it, I didn't take to most of the tracks as well as others might. Still, I plan to revisit this at some point to give it a fair shake. Those who contributed all seem very talented, and I did learn of some new cool artists who're usually ignored in this culture.

Tracks:
1. Dunya Salam (featuring Baaba Maal)
2. My Culture (featuring Robbie Williams & Maxi Jazz)
3. The Way You Dream (featuring Michael Stipe & Asha Bhosle)
4. Ma' Africa (featuring The Mahotella Queens & Ulali)
5. Braided Hair (featuring Speech & Neneh Cherry)
6. Ta Moko (featuring Whiri Mako Black)
7. Bushes (featuring Baaba Maal)
8. Passion (featuring Michael Franti)
9. Daphne (featuring Eddi Reader, The Mahotella Queens, & Revetti Sakalar)
10. All Alone (On Eilean Shona)
11. Racing Away (featuring Grant Lee Phillips & Horace Andy)
12. Ghosts (featuring Eddi Reader)

No comments: