Monday, August 25, 2008

Konk (limited edition) (The Kooks)

While I never bought The Kooks' first album, a multiple day recurrence of "Always Where I Need to Be" in my head drove me to try out their second, Konk. Since the limited edition (containing a second disc of additional songs) wasn't much more expensive than the regular, I went ahead and did that one. Overall, this album proved a good purchase. For one thing, it's cohesive, not simply a collection of songs. While every song isn't stellar, each selection does seem to contribute something to the album and its mood. Standout tracks include the aforementioned lead single, "Stormy Weather," second single "Shine On," "Mr. Maker," and "Do You Wanna." Highlights of the bonus disc include "No Longer," "By My Side," and "Fa La La," which by all acounts should not work nearly as well as it does. Something about the delivery turns what could have been disastrous lyrics into a great song. While this album certainly isn't groundbreaking, it's a very pleasant listen, and when it's at its best, its tracks can compete with most anything else out there right now.

Tracks:
1. See the Sun
2. Always Where I Need to Be
3. Mr. Maker
4. Do You Wanna
5. Gap
6. Love It All
7. Stormy Weather
8. Sway
9. Shine On
10. Down to the Market
11. One Last Time
12. Tick of Time
13. All Over Town

Disc 2 (Rak)
1. Watching the Ships Roll In
2. Eaten by Your Lover
3. No Longer
4. Fa La La
5. Nothing Ever Changes
6. By My Side
7. Hatful of Love
8. See the Sun (alternate version)
9. Brooklyn (home demo)

No comments: