Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Who Am I" single (Beenie Man)

It's a shame that people's negative reactions toward artists often prevent them from enjoying the artists' music, no matter how good it may be. This seems to be particularly problematic when it comes to dancehall artists in the United States. Any time it seems like one might be making it big, his cultural views tend to come back and haunt him. I believe this is one of the reasons why Beenie Man is not as much of a force in U.S. pop music as he could be. I'm not exactly a big fan of all of his views, but that doesn't stop me from thinking he makes some kickass music. "Who Am I" was one of his breakthrough hits in 1998. It's a catchy song that doesn't seem to get radio play anymore, more's the pity. The single is backed with three additional versions of the song and the earlier single "Romie." "Romie" makes for one killer b-side. I'd venture to say it's even better than "Who Am I." While the instrumental mix of "Who Am I" isn't much to hear, this is overall a nice single, and worth it if encountered in the cutout bins.

Tracks:
1. Who Am I
2. Who Am I (instrumental)
3. Who Am I (dancehall remix)
4. Who Am I (DJ Maggy remix)
5. Romie

No comments: