Sunday, August 10, 2008

Female Trouble (Nona Hendryx)

Of all my bargain store finds, this one is definitely up there as one of my favorite lucky discoveries. Nona Hendryx's 1987 album Female Trouble is pretty awesome. The biggest hit off the album was "Why Should I Cry," which is a fine song, but other highlights include "I Know What You Need," "Too Hot to Handle," "Female Trouble," "Big Fun," and the Prince-penned "Baby Go-Go." "Winds of Change" also lets her show off her pipes a bit, proving Hendryx to be a more-than-capable vocalist for a decent range of material. Why this former member of LaBelle didn't hit it bigger solo than she did I'll never know. I would highly recommend seeking out this album, as it's a true should-have-been-a-classic.

Tracks:
1. I Know What You Need (Pygmy's Confession)
2. Big Fun
3. Baby Go-Go
4. Rhythm of Change
5. Why Should I Cry?
6. Too Hot to Handle
7. Winds of Change (Mandela to Mandela)
8. Female Trouble
9. Drive Me Wild

No comments: